- 3 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 chopped sweet onion
- a few chopped fresh garlic cloves
- 1 lb. of sliced carrots
- 4 to 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cut up stew-style
- 2-3 heaping tablespoons of curry powder (Shivaun says that the Indian Madras type is the best)
- 1 tsp. sugar
- salt to taste / soy sauce to taste if you like
- a squirt of ketchup, or a chopped tomato, or a dollop of tomato sauce
- 1 can coconut milk or coconut cream
- A dash of lemon or limejuice if you like (lemongrass would be really good, too, if you have it)
Drop in your carrots and potatoes. Add water to almost completely (but not quite) cover the food. Add the sugar, salt, and ketchup and simmer for 25 minutes or so, covered with a tilted lid so steam can escape, until carrots and potatoes are done.
Add coconut milk and lemon juice before serving and warm throughout.
Serve over rice.
*You could also throw everything above into a crock-pot and cook it all day. Just leave out the coconut milk until shortly before serving so that it doesn't curdle.